Tuesday, November 18, 2008

family

Link I can think of no other words to describe my J.J 100 experience.
Family.
For me Family sums it up.
I've been hesitant to write about j.j. 100 because to attempt to put it all into mere words just pales in comparison.

I've ran all over, amazing trails in the high sierra, bagged high peaks, climbed mountains.
I found running 5 loops on a 15.4 mile loop in the desert just as rewarding as those other experiences.

This was my first attempt @ 100 miles.

The team that got me through this was as much apart of the actually running as I was even though I was the one doing the majority of the miles.
The support and enthusism from Angie, David, and June was amazing as well as all the volunteers and Kachina S.A.R.

A few things I have never experienced happened, perfect strangers helped glue and put my socks on.
Perfect strangers fed me and kept an eye after my well being.

Angie made me eat!Which is why I got as far as I did.
When I say eat, I mean eat! I ate much more then I would on a normal day which is important because it's not everyday I make an effort to run 100 miles.

Without all of my handlers(Angie is the bomb) and crew, mom and david, no of this would have come close to happening.

So the end result?


I learned I must eat a meal every 6 hours.

I need to eat regularly in between and consume roughly 36oz of liquid every 5miles.

After 10-12hours I need to really focus on solid food.

Back way off on heavy caffeine and change my main snack staple to something new or my stomach will start having trouble digesting.

Pre-tape feet and be willing to Not worry about cutoffs to take care of my needs like my feet and to eat and rest.
Take care of my needs early and often.

Also a meta-tarsel pad for my left foot is a good idea.

Oh and if @ all possible get a kickass crew!!!

Well I ended up doubting my abilities around mile 45.
After the crew gave me an attitude adjustment Angie and I headed out.
After 15 easy miles with Angie I was sure I had it in the bag.

15 more miles with Casey turned out to be a different story.
I started feeling funny 6miles in with Casey and began to eat and eat.
@ 10 miles I was forced to lay down,my head was spinning.
By 11 miles I could barely walk. By 12 miles I was sick, by 14 mile I began to throw up and the mini black out waves began increasing. SHOT BLOCKS!!! my stomach began to revolt and would no longer process the blocks, which was odd because I hadn't eaten any blocks in like 2 hours and had eaten lots of other stuff since.

Well after finishing 5 loops of 15.4 miles=77miles. I decided I should stop.
After resting and sleeping for nearly a half hour I decided again against going back out!
I felt all of that was my bodies way of saying NO MAS!
It was trying to protect itself.
It really was an epic experience.
I feel as if I learned valuable lessons and made some friends.


2 comments:

onepinkfuzzy said...

Epic is a good word for it!!!! I will crew/pace for you anytime, anywhere. You name it, I'll be there. I had so much fun; it was inspiring to watch you go for this!!

Pinkcorker (Renee) said...

Troy,
I have so much respect for you - great job! I wish I could have been there to see you in your glory! I'm jealous that I didn't get to pace you! Hopefully, there will be a next time (kinda sounds like it!)
You really did great. Glad you were able to meet David - he is a pretty cool guy.
Hey, are you going to join TTR for the 50k in December? I'm working on getting my long run back up there, so I may do a shorter distance, but I'm planning on going. Maybe I'll see you there?
Renee