Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Lake Merritt 12 hour



Well being cautious and unable to really put in the big mileage needed to run fast and long(due to my back) I was skeptical as to weather I would be even remotely ok @ the Lake Merrit 12 hour run.
So We pulled into Oakland Friday the 12th and got our room right on The marina in Oakland.
We scoped out the race course and I did my best to get some sleep.
So the race....
Well I employed SERIOUS strategy!
The course was 3.15 miles around Lake Merritt, aid every 1.5 miles and a seperate smaller .9 mile loop for your last hour or so of running so as to make all your miles count.
Well I opted to walk fot the first 4.5 miles! I got a good gauge as to how long things could take if things went bad.
Well After that I ran half a lap then walked ate and digested.
My 6 hour time was very slow, barely a marathon. Poppy worked on my feet, bad blisters, and I just kept eating.
Seems since Javelina I have learned how to manage my food intake for the most part.
After 3 hours I make my self eat as much as I can, Just forcing myself.
Unfortunately about 8 hours or 9hrs in I started to feel funky although I never blacked out or barfed.
I did stop again to get some foot work and we finally got it right.
I really picked things up toward the end considering how much I stopped and how easy I took it the first 6 hours.
Toward the end I just managed to squeeze in 1 last lap and with barely 19 minutes left I started out on the small loop.
So The last 2 miles I turned a 10 min mile then a 6minute 30 sec mile to finish with 49 miles in 11hours 56 minutes and no time left !
Not bad for no training!

1 comment:

Pinkcorker (Renee) said...

You completely rock, my friend! I can't believe you did 49 miles on little training. You are a zero to 60 kind of runner. Great job Troy. Amazing.