Monday, May 25, 2009

Just warming up

Sahuarita Lake Triathlon-

My swim wave started @ 6:34am
There was about 30 of us I think.

The swim was pretty uneventful.
I never really cut loose, just kinda plodded along trying to save myself for the bike.
We for the most part caught the swim wave in front of us.
So I pretty much cleared the initial cluster of people from my wave and then had to pick my way through the wave in front of me.
The Lake is very narrow so it was tough to keep my head down and crank away,I had to sight much more then I would have liked to.

The exit was kinda long up to the actual trans area, not sure when they took the swim split.
I thought the transition went smooth and fast.

THE DREADED BIKE SEGMENT-
Well I hopped on and began Shifting into my fastest gear in the back big ring in the front and just started passing people.
It was really strange, so I thought I better reign it in a little.
I was somewhere around 28mph....Thats much too fast for me considering I just haven't been on the bike hardley @ all.
So @ this point I'm still passing people...WTF
So about 6 miles in We start going up a very mild grade and into a little little headwind.
I finally got passed by a few people with some deep dish aero wheels and bazillion dollar bikes, thats to be expected.
Well the first 8 mile lap went fine.
I ate a bit drank etc. fine.
I really started to slow down to about 18 or 19 mph on the next lap.
On the back half of the last lap I started really getting passed by small clusters of people-all on ridiculously nice bikes got passed a total of maybe 20 times max.
Not too bad considering I expected to totally choke on the ride, Like 15mph choke.
But it never happended and I stayed comfortable for the entire ride.

So the next trans went smoking fast-left my shoes clipped to the pedals and ran on in.
Tossed on my running gear and bam here we go,
Headed out on the run and started passing back just hammering(or so I thought)
Well the run went good, got tired and switched out to my ultra cadence/stride toward the end.

So splits as follows-not sure what my transtimes were though-
1k swim -19min 39 sec
my bike comp has the ride @16.8 miles-53min45sec avg speed 18.7mph-they have me @55min03(probably trans time)
5K-run24min49sec(I actually tanked the run instead of the ride! WOW!)

All 4 goals actually accomplished with a total time of 1 hr 39min 32sec!!
HAHA I thought there was no way in hell I would come in under 1:40. With 20 some odd seconds to spare! I"LL take it.

So I finish and my body is like "WE ARE NOT DONE" I had plenty of gas in the tank...
I never really pushed, Kind of just maintained.
I was very fearfully of blowing myself out so I really took it easy.
Well I wonder how fast I could actually do this in if I focused and seriously cranked?
Well maybe I'll find out next year.

No comments: