Friday, September 26, 2008

Race 1 grrrr I'm fast

Tempe town lake splash and dash
All pictures by P.
Racing by me and 150 other people!





Waiting to get back in the water, dont want to sit around treadng water for 5 minutes.









60 seconds to start ,better get back in the water



















This is actually the start, I was doubting my swimming ability and in addition I listened to the instructions and started even with the green start buoy which is left and way out of the picture.
So I start hammering away at the swim and am just sucking wake from every one in front, it was bad, I couldnt get a rythm and everyone was just acting stooopid and swimming all crooked. So I would eyeball a hole and swim into it ,I kept doing this to about the first buoy turn then it was a straight shot with almost no one in front of me, a small pack of maybe 15 or 18 people at best.
So I'm thinking to myself shit I'm sucking I'm @ the back of this thing and can't see anyone. oh what the hell so I keep jamming away , I was passed only once during the swim............. I maybe my last turn and before I knew it I was approaching the dock and exit. "this is really weird what the hell "so I exit and make my transition, throw my running shoes on, no tie-bungee laces and toss on shorts over my jammers.
I run by P and she says " your doing awesome"
Huh? Turns out all the swimmers in front of me except for the one that passed me started out there....I literally passed 130 people in the water and didn't even realise it!!!




















So I start running this is the end of mile 1 of a short 2 miles.

I was passed on the run by maybe 4 people and I also passed a few myself.....


















So I finish and ask for my time, the time keeping is a little disorganised and they dont have it? What you can't tell me my time? so one of the racers coming in maybe a minute or three behind me says he came in @ 31minutes.

P counted me exiting the water between 15th and 18th place I guess there was a bit of bunching in the transition area....

So we go to Montis and get our free snacks and stuff, the "official" results put me in @ 34 minutes and 26th? place out of 150? No fuckin way.....I could care less about my place but my time come on....no way.... I know I was faster, guess that will teach me to keep my own splits, I was worried about losing my watch so I left it off!!!!!
I do know the guy and girl who finished 15 seconds ahead of me, I know their race numbers so when the results are posted I will know for sure.

For me my time is basically my bench mark....I really felt I came in under 30 minutes. I pushed so hard, I came very close to barfing.....34 minutes? come on? I easily hit 30 minutes in practice easily. I ran and swam waaaaay harder. Drop dead sprint swim!!! and what felt like 7 min miles on the run, the water exit and transition to run took maybe a minute.
When P heard the final reslts she immediatly said no way you went faster.... that doesnt make sense......



Oh p.s. a 14 year old actually won the thing...he was just a little guy weighed maybe 70 pounds at best, not to take anything away from him but he started waaaay ahead of every one....probably a good idea considering the adults would have literally swam on top of him. Also though he beat everyone by a good bit too so it probably made it fair for him to start away from everyone so they didnt drown him.

p.p.s-things I learned-I can swim with the A pack and could have probably led them if I would have started up front.
I transition ridiculously fast compared to everyone else.
I can hold my own on the run but am not a speedster.
I need to tape my watch on!!!
Or something.
My return to swimmming has only been like 2 or 3 months and have done no open water training and I tore into the swim.
All in all it was fun and I will try and learn what I used for next time.

1 comment:

Pinkcorker (Renee) said...

Great job Troy! Pictures! Yay! Finally get to see your tattoos! Can't wait to see how you do at Flagstaff marathon.