Monday, August 18, 2008

Cameron park's 12-hours of hotter then hell

I went to cali for my birthday, the first day in I got to put in a few yards @ my favorite swimming spot in the mountains!!! Gotta to visit with a ton of friends and family and I got to run!!!!


My birthday race August 16th- Several other runners and myself lined up @ Cameron park lake to run the 1.25 mile loop continously around the lake for either 6 or 12 hours.

I chose the 12 hour run.

I had a smart strategy and was testing my strategy plan for Javalina....

I started out walking for an hour- then running 5min on 1 off for an hour-. Then 10 on 1 off for an hour. In fact I walked a large amount.
I was doing well, It got hot about mid day, maybe 1:30 or so it hit 100 degrees, no shade on the back side of the lake.

Well things went well I wanted to complete 50 miles comfortably and WAS well on track for the finish.
After I finished 30 laps I was allowed a pacer, unfortunately mine didn't show.
Well I recruited a women I saw helping support the run/walking fun laps as my pacer.

She turned out to be a seasoned ultra runner and was so stoked to do it!!!!!!

Yeeesssss.
a few laps later I started feeling funky... really funky ......reallly really reallly funky.
I told my pacer and we walked into the aid station.
I had just ran for 10 hours.
They sat me down and tried to help me eat, I smelled food and started gagging and convulsing!! Great!!!!! Everything turned sideways and my eyes felt like I was cross eyed!!! Crap.....

Hey the cool part was I got to meet Helen and Norm Klein!!!
They've been married 40 years and helen still runs 50 milers!!!! She's 84!

Norm came over and threatened to kick my ass unless I ate some saltines and drank coke.
I did and 20 minutes later felt well enough to walk slowly....

Norm and Helen Lectured me about my eating and prepped me for Javalina informing me that I needed to teach myself how to eat or wouldnt finish Javalina. The heat is what got me and killed my appetite.

My pacer saved my ass, in fact after laying for 20 minutes, me and pacer walked for 25 yards at a time for 1.25 miles, then I grubbed on salt potatoes and a gel....
Then the next lap we walked the whole thing fast ,then a few more!!!
Time was running out and it looked like I wouldnt make my 50 miles .

So I started run/walking I had just enough time for 1 more lap and my pacer made me do it on my own.
So I motered.....Final- 47.5miles!!!!!!! 38 laps total, 11 hours 46 minutes and was out of time to do another lap!!!
(The guy who won did 60 laps=70 miles!!!!)
All in all I was still on a comfortable pace for a 24 hour run, in fact as long as I eat well, I have high hopes of finishing in or under 24 hours!!! but should make the 30 hour cutoff.
Another good lesson learned and a happy birthday to me.

2 comments:

Pinkcorker (Renee) said...

Congratulations, Troy! I have no doubt that you will finish JJ.
Enjoyed reading the report - I like your smart strategy.

onepinkfuzzy said...

happy birthday!!! and congratulations!!!