Thursday, June 28, 2007

High-hoe-the-dairy-oh a bushwacking we will go!

S o I missed a few days so- A few nights ago 50 pushups, speed bag work . Stretched, deep stretching and meditation for about 2 hours total. Ok so wednesday the 27th pullup sets and basically took it easy. Thursday the 28th - Went up to mt.lemmon to check out a crag called middle earth.The plan was to rap in and self belay on some of the less vertical stuff. So following the less then accurate falcon guide I bagan bushwacking for 40 minutes up a canyon-drainage full of head and chest high manzanita. I eventually found a real trail and quickly located the crag and some anchors. So I rigged an anchor and single rope rapped using my gri-gri. After about 30 feet or so I reached a roof, a big horizontal roof . I stopped short and new better then to jump into an open air rappel without knowing weather I could get back up.So I climbed back up and proceeded to hike all the way around the whole crag scoping lines and anchors. Turns out, that roof kicks back 30?feet but there is a trail easily leading around the whole of the crag. So for next time I know what anchors to rap in from and what lines I can easily climb. So I trudged about for 2 hours lugging 2 ropes and my rack. So after ward I hit the gym and bouldered for an hour or so.

2 comments:

onepinkfuzzy said...

nice!

whereabouts is middle earth?

RunningTroysLife said...

So what follows is the easy way to middle earth which I found on the way back down after my bushwacking adventure up.

Up on mt.Lemmon a little past mp15, like half a mile past, there is a pull out on the right. A little past the pullout when facing up the road you will see a blocky rock formation with an arch directly next to the road to the left(west side)directly next to the arch there is a drainage, follow the drainage up up up , eventually there is some cairns which will take you to the ridge follow the ridge west north west and you will end up ontop of middle earth which is basically just a slabby chunk of granite on top. NOT A HIKE OR RUNNING TRAIL! It's a bolted sport climbing area ranging from 5.9-5.13