Thursday, July 12, 2007

I will never be less than free

thursday071207

All right So I arrived at the visitor center and immediatly it started raining. People started scattering all over. I just smiled, looked up and made sure the storm was moving east. As I headed up lower bear canyon trail another runner was hurrying back to his car and exclaimed-"just in time". So I headed directly to phone line link and then went straight up blacketts ridge. It was great weather and I was able to run 95% of the trail. I got to the end of the ridge trail and scrambled as far as I could go doing some easy 4th and 5th class moves...I went way out on the ridge today. It was amazing I could see the storm straffing the city. I could actually see the rain coming all the way down instead of just the usual high grey curtains.

As I was heading back down about a mile from the top I came across another trail runner. I stopped and offered him water , I didnt notice he had a little 10 ounce hand held. So I asked if he was going to the top and if I could turn around and join him. He said no he was bailing and didnt have enough time. He joined me for the trip down and we talked about everything. He asked how long i'd been here and what trails I've done and was a bit suprised that Id done so many in 3 months. So he's the first real trail runner I've met in person since I've been here. He told me how to get a hold of him I'm stoked.

So we hit the phone line link and we went seperate ways. I followed it north and joined the road at shuttle stop 2. I ran the road to the end and started heading back. As I came down the last climb from the end of the road a man on a recumbent bicycle passed me so I turned around and asked if I could pace with him and run the hill a second time. So all in all I ran for 3 hours.

1 comment:

onepinkfuzzy said...

i know a lot of trail runners in tucson; i'm curious as to who you met?