Thursday, July 26, 2007

I don't wanna take a bath

So I headed out to Sabino leaving myself ample time to hopefully run all of 7 Falls.
I've come close (I think) several times but have turned back short due to lack of light and unfamiliarity of the trail. Well I headed out toward bear canyon and had to make an EMERGENCY potty break so I veered off the trail and onto the road. As I approached the restroom I saw my first desert tortoise! I picked the trail back up and ran it for some time. Much further then the times before. Eventually I came upon a sign that said Bear canyon trail and had 2 arrows but no mileage. From there the trail gradually climbed up and right and another well used but unmarked trail headed left and down into the wash. So I followed the spur trail and ended up at what I'm pretty sure was 7 falls. I explored around a bit and in the water I found a small ribbon like snake swimming. It had vertical yellow dashes running its length(not stripes).
Well after playing a bit and eating some power goo gel junk I headed back. On the spur trail back up I saw a big fat lizard all black with bright orange spots. That sucker was huge, like a good 3 feet or so.

Ok so I headed back and at my first oportunity I took the phone line link up. I soon passed the turn for Blacketts ridge and realised I did'nt have enough time to climb Blacketts.
So I took all the phone links out passed phone line trail itself and down to the picnic area and shuttle stop 2. I kind of stumbled my way down to the road and pointed myself north. Onward and upward. Running the road was nice .I didnt have to lift my legs very high off the ground and just shuffled right along. All the wash crossings were running and I was a bit nervous about running the road with wet feet especially after all the trail running I had already done. With normal socks, soggy shoes, and 6 more miles my feet should have fallen apart. Well the injinji socks did there trick and I have very minimal blistering most of it is from yesterdays road run. Alot of people out hiking the road. I had to drag my self up the last hill to the end of the road...

Not too much long run drama. All in all I fell once on the trail, got real wet in the wash crossings, and made my quads so sore I became a little worried about the stairs leading up to my house.


So I decided to brave the dreaded ice bath. I bought 2 bags on the way home. I DO NOT LIKE COLD WATER. Ok so I prepared the bath and ice etc. Well the water wouldnt run cold so I only had to sit in really cold water for 10 minutes. Afterward I noticed a difference.
I took 800mg of ibuprofen and sat in the spa for 15 minutes or so.

So grand total 3hours 30 minutes and this includes my potty break and playing around @ 7 falls
Next time I want to throw Blacketts into the mix. I drank exactly 60 oz of water all of wich I carried on my person for the whole run and had 2 gels. Tommorow will be sets and a light run

1 comment:

Tom@RunnersLounge said...

Troy, Just found your blog site and enjoy reading it. Seems like you get a lot from your running, and that's what many of us enjoy. It's fun watching runners progress. I post with another running friend, Amy, and we’ll look forward to reading more of your site and following your progress. Keep up the good running and posting! Tom

http://blog.runnerslounge.com