Monday, June 18, 2007

The stumbling bumbling mini epic of fun

Sunday June 17th-

So I contemplated going north and strapping on the hiking boots and exploring an area called Aravaipa canyon. So theres apparently no trail and a large portion of the hike is supposed to be bushwacking through the creek canyon.

Unfortunately due to me having to start graveyards (overnight shift) on monday at 11pm I have to sleep in late on my only day off so change of plans.

I decided to go up to Mt. Lemmon and run butterfly trail.
It's 5.2 miles one way and after reviewing the topo it seemed pretty straight forward. It seemed that after running the intial 5.2 out it APPEARED I could simply run back out to the highway and run 3 miles up the catalina highway back to the trailhead. So I figured a 2 hour trip max even if I walked some.

Again yet another new trail for me to explore!

I arrived @ the trailhead at 5:40pm stretched, geared up ,checked my bag-72oz of water, 1 hand held ,1 head lamp, athletic tape,knee strap(just in case) ,cell phone, beanie and a long sleeve wicking shirt, and some jerky just in case I get lost and have to spend the night some where and run out in the morning. Oh yeah and bug lotion. Spare batteries. I.d. and chapstick.

So by 6:00pm I was running down the trail making good time and passing hikers. I marvelled at how off camber and left leaning the trail was. So I hopped over a few downed trees and kept on trucking. After 20minutesI started wading through high ferns and undergrowth wishing I had brought my clear lens glasses to protect my eyes. There was'nt enough sun to warrant wearing my actual sunglasses.... Wham caught my toe, ended up on my arm. Nooo biggie. Still making good time.

I lost the trail a couple times, stopped for 30 seconds to peep the view and walked when I couldnt run because of the rough condition of parts of the trail. I could have used some gaiters as well, my legs were getting trashed and I found it tough to see my feet through the undergrowth.

Well for about 2 miles I continued down hill(about 20minutes or so mAYBE 30) then the ugly loose uphill started. I must have had to climb over 10 downed trees at least. I passed by a creek with actual water and 2 sick overhanging boulders with a little bit of chalk on em. To bad I did'nt bring my climbing shoes. So on I went, climbing and climbing and climbing. Alternating between running and walking when I had to. Finally I crested the top of my climb.

I noticed a microwave tower on top of the hill side of the saddle I just crested. A sign identified the top as Mt. Bigelow so off I went. I quickly came to the microwave towers and noticed a fire road going west. Knowing the road was west and realising I would never be able to follow butterfly trail in the dark so I chose to take the forest road west.


THE FOREST ROAD-

It got cold fast as the sun went down and I tossed on my long sleeve and turned off the mp3 player. I felt confidant I was heading in the right direction and was still more or less on track for a 2 hour run especially if I hit the highway.....so I passed a few people camping and kept running.
After a mile or so I came to a-T-intersection.
I continued west toward the road. After refilling both bottles from my spares and firing up the headlamp It soon became obvious I wasnt going to hit the road any time soon. So I started walking a bit more so as to not miss any important turns. Well I slowly came up upon a ridge and could hear the highway far far below.

Shit well I kept going and after about 45 minutes of this I saw an intersection coming up and increased my pace. IT WAS THE SAME INTERSECTION I HAD COME TO PREVIOUSLY! Well that narrowed my choice as to which way to go. I mulled over the idea of heading back up to where the campers were and having them drive me out. I decided against it knowing enough to keep in mind exactly how to get back to the intersection if my situation worsened. So I ran a bit and walked alot getting a little worried and figuring I should conserve some of my energy. Well This went on for 20 minutes when I crested yet another incline. This time I came to some sort of observatory.

Well off I went into the dark. I saw some weird glint ahead and thought I'd found another camper. Turned out to be a forest service truck just left there. So one more spot I could bail to if I had to sleep. Well on and on I went, ocassionally coming across signs that would say unmaintaied road for blah blah blah miles. God, At this point I had ran downhill for 40 minutes from the observatory at least 40 and wasnt relishing having to run back up that up to that truck to sleep.......

Well fuck Im starting to ration my water and am getting nervous. I knew I'd be fine but I was feeling taxed and stressed out.

So after my emotions had their way working me over for a bit I hit pavement! I came out on Bear Hollow road and made a right on Catalina highway. SCORE!

So in my head im thinking "ok so I have 3 miles of pavement pounding to go, no problem" I pulled out my cell to check in with everyone and started leaving messages. Mid message, just while Im saying well Ive got 3 miles of road left to go I see a sign for butterfly trailhead!!!! Then bam the run is over there's my jeep sitting there. So total run time 2hours 45min. 6ounces of water left.

So I get into the jeep and consult the map, it turns out I should'nt have run up to the microwave towers on Bigelow, actually I had half mile of trail left then I would have hit the road and run the 3 miles of pavement back to the trailhead...oops. Lesson learned.

Hell of a run. Got to do alot of thinking......My sugars levels are seriously out of wack, I drank some gatorade on the way down the hill and treated myself to some pie and a mocha when I got back to town.

So start time 6pm end time 845pm- 2hours 45 min. I'm definitely going back for another spin on this one. Next time Ill remember to leave a little more time or follow the right trail! Oh yeah and bring a pair of climbing slippers for those boulders.

1 comment:

onepinkfuzzy said...

i love reading your accounts of exploring for the first time my favorite places to run! i hate butterfly - won't run it - too overgrown - yuck! but i love running the roads around bigelow; my fav run on the mtn starts at marshall gulch, up sunset trail (comes out across the highway from butterfly), on the highway for .5 to link to the dirt road, up that for 3 miles (careful at the intersections) to the top of bigelow (those microwave towers), then launching off the backside down to palisades where i can top off my water, turn around and head back.