Thursday, September 6, 2007

Nice

Thursday 09/06/07-Well time for a long run. I headed up 7 falls trail and just kept going. I ended up running 45 min outpast the spur trail for 7falls.

The trail got nasty and over grown in spots. A little running a little walking and a whole lot of trying not to break my legs or ankles.

I actually ran into a hiker way out there. He laughed and said he'd never ran into anyone this far up the trail. I inquired about trail conditions further up and he said it didnt get any better. So I made the decision to turn around. This was after passing 7 falls 45 minutes before hand.
I ran back down the trail picking up the spur down to 7 falls to wash up and snack. Then headed back to the Jeep. I saw a nice 4ft diamond back and ran into a prickly pear cactus on the way down.

Back @ the Jeep.
5 minutes to change shoes refill bottles and snack.
Headed up Sabino canyon and paced uphill with some mountain bikers. Downhill was a cruise.

Well I was'nt done so I headed out bear canyon road on the way back. I got a little over a mile out on bear canyon and in the flash of my head lamp I saw what looked like a deer up the road watching me. It was standing below some weird cactus which made it look like it had antlers. I pulled out my lil baby spot light and bam mountain lion.

It was as tall as the middle of my thigh about 120-140 pounds. It just watched me! Well screw it I am not prey! I carry a 4inch folding knife on my water belt. So I snapped open my knife and just headed straight for it . No way was I going to turn my back on that thing. As soon as it heard my knife click open it took off. I made sure it headed down into the creek bed. I even yelled at it for good measure. NO FEAR! .........................Damn cat.

Well I took this as an omen to TURN AROUND! On my way back down the road I could hear dogs barking, there are houses about a quarter mile from certain points of the road although the road itself is not open to moter vehicles and does'nt go anywhere. That damn cat was cruising through the area looking for an easy snack.

Ok total run time including break at jeep and the falls-5hrs22mins58secs-unsure of mileage.

No comments: